- 2 (16 oz.) cans pitted red tart cherries
- 1 c. reserved cherry liquid
- 1 1/2 c. sugar, divided
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 3-4 drops red food color
- Pastry for 9" double crust pie
1. For Filling: Drain cherries in large strainer over bowl, reserving 1 cup liquid. Combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan. Stir in reserved 1 cup cherry liquid. Cook and stir on medium heat 3-4 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
Stir in cherries, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, butter, almond extract and food color. Refrigerate 1 hour.
2. For Crust: Heat oven to 400 degrees. prepare cut and press crust into 9 inch pie plate. Spoon in filling. Cover pie with top crust. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
3. For Glaze: Brush with milk. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool until barely warm or to room temperature before serving.
This nice fresh cherry pie recipe is ready to serve....nice pie to taste ! Enjoy it !